Thursday, February 16, 2006

Things I Love Thursdays pt.1

Tiny Glass Phials
Tiny Glass Phials,
originally uploaded by The Paper Doll.
Here's my first post for Things I Love Thursdays.. I'm kind of excited because I've never been a part of one of these weekly photo groups. I've been trolling other people's Self Portrait Tuesdays and Illustration Fridays. Now I can participate.

This is a part of my watch maker's cabinets. I have two, each containing two drawers. Inside those drawers I hide all kinds of tiny things. There are charms, scrapbooking findings, antique doodads, and most of all, the smell. It's an old, musty, dusty, dry rotted wood smell. All at once powdery, musky and slightly sweet. Every time I open the drawer it wafts out at me and comforts me. At first I was afraid of the smell. Usually that smell means mold, something I'm really allergic to. After cleaning out the remnants of the watchmaker who owned it before me though, I came to associate that smell with aged wisdom and inspiration. Every time I catch a whiff I smile to myself. These cabinets remind me of the little old toy fixer from Toy Story 2. I like to think that he smelled like my drawers, that maybe the previous owner looked like him.

No comments: