Saturday, August 06, 2005

In the Beginning...

This will be my second attempt at a blog. My first one was so depressing and random that I eventually gave up. I'm hoping to chronicle my adventures with paper. You see, I love the stuff. I work at an art store, where I'm in charge of the specialty papers. Hand made papers, marbled papers, Japanese lace papers, Indian rag papers, papers of all sizes and types. We have a whole small warehouse of papers and they bring me great joy. Really, this is my dream job. I lurked around this art store for 4 years and begged for this job until they finally gave in. I'm really not sure if that's something to be proud of, but everything seems to have worked out. I work hard but it feels like playing, and I get along with almost everyone there.
I also Scrapbook, so that I have another reason to buy lots of papers and cut them up. I used to be squeemish about slicing all of those pretty papers up, but now I consider it a compliment to the people who make them. After all, they didn't make those papers so that they could crumble away into nothingness due to neglect. I'm not really sure why I love paper so much but I can list the ways that I love it. I love the smell, the textures, the maliability and potential. I love the little thrill I get when I slide out a 27"x35" sheet of Rakusui Lace paper, pristine and untouched. The few moments of quiet before I start to manipulate it into the shapes and folds it takes to become a finished project. I love the sound paper makes as you run a bone folder over a crease, or the susserating sound of paper sliding over paper. I love showing off my finished project to people I like, not because I want them to compliment me or the objet d' art but because I'm sharing a piece of me with them, another means of communication.
So yeah, I'm a paper freak. I'm ok with that. It hasn't completely taken over my life, but it's definitely a big part of it. I hope you'll stick around to see the messes I make and share my anticipation as I try to get my works published and maybe start a business. Enjoy.

The Paper Doll

No comments: