Sunday, February 12, 2006

I. Am. A Sellout.

So it all started out pretty innocently enough. I found iTunes on my machine at work and opened it up to listen to everyone's shared files, looking for some new stuff to wrap my ears around. Next thing I know it's 3 months later and I've downloaded over $100 and 788.9 kb in music, spoken word, and comedy. So I say to myself...this is an app that's online, I have itunes on my machine at home the files should be on my account, transferable and stuff. So I get home and fire up itunes at home and find out that...the files are only local to the machine I download them on. I mean...seriously. I have yahoo mail, it's free, and I can access my files from any machine...what the heck!? I pay for iTunes downloads and I can't access the files anywhere but on the machine I downloaded them...man that's irritating. So I figure I'll just rip 'em to cds and take them home right? My machine at work doesn't have a cd burner. It has iTunes but no cd burner...amazing.
So I figure I'll VNC (Virtual Network Computing, learn more here) into my work machine from home and transfer the files right? Nope, no can do. Can't e-mail them because the files are too big. So what do I do next? I complain to my husband of course. He's a total computer genius. Junkie is more like it really. You know what he says? He says "You could just put them on an iPod". Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Flash back a three months ago when he goes through two different kinds of mp3 players in one month and announces that he's going to break down and buy an iPod. To this I laugh, point and call him a sellout. Our house is not Mac friendly. Fast forward to last month when he tells me he's going to buy me an iPod. To which I exclaim indignantly "Why?! I have an mp3 player that I really like. No thanks, really." Fast forward again to yesterday.
Yesterday we went out on a date, my hubby and I. He pulls into a certain big name electronic store and I decide to stay in the truck. Can you blame me? I live with the stuff all over the house, I don't really want to go out of my way to look at it. So when he pops up out of the store and asks me what kind of iPod I want and gives me two choices, what do I say? I say, "whichever's least expensive" he says there's not much difference between the two so I tell him to get the one with the most memory. Something momentous is happening. I'm caving. Again. Like the time I swore to boycott a huge retail corporation and wound up failing because a friend of mine pointed out the utility and savings...some friend. He says "black or white" I say "black". Ten minutes later I'm the conflicted owner of a black iPod.

I. Am. A Sellout.

No comments: